If you cannot set up to synchronise your learner data with us through GroupCall, then you can send us a learner data file.
This article is to help you to export your learner data. Please note that the learner data must be delivered to us via one of the following:
- TXT format
- Excel spreadsheet (a template ready for use is here)
You can either export a learner list from your MIS to send to us, or use the excel template to create your own file.
This list describes the fields (with field names in BOLD) we require to give your learners access to SAM Learning:
There are nine compulsory fields required for data entry:
3. AdNo - Admission Number
4. Gender - enter 'M' or 'F" only
5. DOB - Date of Birth - enter DOB in DD/MM/YYYY format
6. Reg - Registration Group
7. Year - usually a digit between '1' and '14' only
8. UPN - Unique Pupil Number - free text field
9. Class - Teaching Group Name - free text field (please see example table below)
In order to filter your Learners and Groups for task setting and reviewing progress, it also helps to submit the following student data fields:
10. Ethnicity (not compulsory) - free text field
11. Freemeals - Free School Meals (not compulsory) - enter 'T' or 'F' only
12. FSM6 - enter 'T' or 'F' only
13. PupilPremium - Pupil Premium - enter 'T' or 'F' only
14. SEN - Special Education Needs - enter 'T' or 'F' only
15. LAC - Looked After Children - enter 'T' or 'F' only
16. EAL - English as an Additional Language - enter 'T' or 'F' only
This is an example of what the data file would look like for TWO learners:
|Gemma||Atkins||01046||F||09/07/2006||H||11||J811288197017||White - British||T||Te-11-X5|
|Gemma||Atkins||01046||F||09/07/2006||H||11||J811288197017||White - British||T||Ma-11-X5|
|Gemma||Atkins||01046||F||09/07/2006||H||11||J811288197017||White - British||T||En-11-X5|
|Gemma||Atkins||01046||F||09/07/2006||H||11||J811288197017||White - British||T||Ge-11-X5|
|Justin||Phillips||03264||M||25/06/2010||D||7||Y810288197028||Black - African||F||En-07-B4|
|Justin||Phillips||03264||M||25/06/2010||D||7||Y810288197028||Black - African||F||Ar-07-B3|
|Justin||Phillips||03264||M||25/06/2010||D||7||Y810288197028||Black - African||F||Fr-07-C1|
Please Note: Each learner will be listed a number of times, one row for each of their classes. (If you don't assign each learner to several classes, one row for each learner is fine.)
Do not use spaces, punctuation marks or special characters such as commas or full stops.
Do not merge two fields into one column, e.g. Forename and Surname.
It is possible to enter learners' initials in the Forename and Surname fields, rather than their full names. We advise against this, however, as it makes it difficult to update Learner Accounts and makes Progress Reports unusable.
Disadvantaged Fields are optional (Pupil Premium, FSM, EAL, etc.). If these are filled in, the data must display as 'T' for 'True' or 'F' for 'False'.
When you have created the learner data file, save it either in Excel or CSV format (tab delimited) and log in using your SAM Learning Admin account details. Select the 'Learners' tab and click on the 'Import Learners' link.
This will open a web form where you can upload the data through our secure server. You will receive confirmation once this has been done. You will then receive another email once the data has been checked and uploaded into your SAM Learning school account.
Download the data upload spreadsheet template found below: